Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Theatre--Performance (Cast Interviews)

This is the 3rd in a series of interviews with the cast of THE COMPLETE WOMEN OF SHAKESPEARE, which opens on June 8th at Theatre 810.


FIVE QUESTIONS WITH HOPE GARRETT COOK

1. Who do you play in The Complete Women of William Shakespeare?
          I play Virginia in Second Best Bed & Beatrice in When Shakespeare’s Ladies Meet.

2. What is your role in Second Best Bed and When Shakespeare’s Ladies Meet?
          Virginia is a neighbor of the Shakespeare's. You get the feeling that she has known the family for some time, and feels comfortable (maybe a bit too comfortable) in their home. She is a gossip and a busy body, but I feel she genuinely cares for Mistress Shakespeare and her girls. I'm not so sure she holds Master Shakespeare in high regard. I play Beatrice in When Shakespeare's Ladies Meet. I hope to showcase her wit, sarcasm, and tenacity. I must admit, using only body language to do this, might present a challenge.

3. Favourite Scene to play? Favourite Line?
          My favorite scene to play is any scene where I am going toe to toe with Dorothy, the maid. Dorothy is fiercely protective of Mistress Shakespeare, and has no qualms with speaking her mind.

4. Through your character's eyes, what is Second Best Bed and When Shakespeare’s Ladies Meet about?
          The two plays highlight the women of Shakespeare in such a way as to 1.) Present a human quality
to a scandalous, much debated historical event (Second Best Bed), and 2.) To present the heroines of
Shakespeare in a comedic light, with a touch of modern sensibility.

5. What do you hope audiences take away from these two shows?
          I hope to bring Virginia to life for the audience by attempting to fully understand her role in the life of
the Shakespeares. I want the experience of playing Virginia to leave me with a more defined ability to
study a character, understand their motivations, and bring that knowledge to life on the stage.

No comments: