Monday, June 4, 2012

Theater--Performance (Cast Interviews)

This is another in a continuing series of interviews with cast members of THE COMPLETE WOMEN OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE.  Tickets are available online here or by phone reservation at (337) 484-0172.


11.FIVE QUESTIONS WITH: KAY MANUEL

1. Who do you play in The Complete Women of William Shakespeare?
          Katherine of The Taming of the Shrew (second weekend of production)

2. What is your role in Second Best Bed and/or When Shakespeare’s Ladies Meet?
          I play Katherine, the tempered lady of Shakespeare's plays, in When Shakespeare's Ladies Meet.

3. Favourite Scene to play? Favourite Line?
          For my character, probably the scene where Juliet gets me riled up. My favorite Katherine line is "If I be waspish, best beware my sting. I pack a powerful sock." Katherine has a hard time resisting temptation.

4. Through your character's eyes, what is Second Best Bed and When Shakespeare’s Ladies Meet about?
          According to Katherine, When Shakespeare's Ladies Meet is about convincing a young and seemingly naive girl of the perils and downfalls of love. We are all trying to tell our stories to Juliet in the hopes that she won't suffer pain like some of the rest of us.


5. What do you hope audiences take away from these two shows?
          I hope audiences take away the belief that Shakespeare created real, complex and intelligent women
in his plays. Whether they are the women he lived with or the ones he created, Shakespeare was surrounded by powerful and influential women in his life. I hope that people can see how wonderful all of these characters are and understand how powerful their stories are even today.

No comments: